Experienced, Knowledgeable And Trusted
Palmer, Sophia M.
- Family Law
Sophia M. Palmer has practiced in the Tacoma/Pierce County area for over 16 years. She began her career as a criminal prosecutor but has practiced family law exclusively for the last 16 years and is the past president of the Tacoma Pierce County Family Law Section. She has handled over 650 family law cases that include dissolution, child custody, relocation, contempt, child support, parenting plan modification, UCCJEA and appeals. Over the course of her career, she has earned the distinction of being a first-class litigator and negotiator in all areas of family law., including complex high-asset dissolutions, child custody, parenting plan modifications, adoptions, and appeals.
In September 2017, Sophia founded her own firm practice, the Law Office of Sophia M. Palmer, located in Tacoma. where she continues to practice exclusively in the area of family law. Sophia's background in Society and Justice as a prosecutor, coupled with her child custody and advocacy family law litigation experience, has enabled her to handle the issues associated with intricate child custody and financial matters, including complicated child custody evaluations matters, complex high asset marital estates, and valuations of complex business interests. Ms. Palmer has an established reputation for delivering superior legal representation that is reasonable, but aggressive when necessary. She is a passionate advocate, with superb oral advocacy skills. Sophia's diverse clientele has ranged from high-net worth individuals, professionals in the medical and legal filed, pilots, business owners, employers, and homemakers.
Sophia graduated cum laude from Seattle University School of Law after receiving her B.A. from the University of Washington in Society and Justice. Sophia is a member of the Washington State Bar Association, and the Tacoma Pierce County Bar Association. She has served as a liaison on the Pierce County Local Rules Committee, as Trustee for the Tacoma Pierce County Bar Association, and Trustee, Vice-President and President of the Tacoma Pierce County Bar Association, Family Law Section and sits as a pro-tem commissioner.
- Seattle University, School of Law, Seattle, Washington
- J.D. - 2006
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Washington
- B.A. - 1999
- Major: Society and Justice
- State v. Johnson 132 Wn.App 400 (2006) – Affirmed.
- State v Easterlin 126 Wash.App. 170 (2005) – Affirmed.
- In re the Marriage of Daniels – Affirmed.
- Young v. Thomas – Reversed in client’s favor.
- Tacoma Historical Society Volunteer – 2008 – 2010
- Pro Bono King County Neighborhood Clinic, 2006-2009
- American Bar Association, Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- Tacoma/Pierce County Bar Association, Member
- Tacoma/Pierce County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- Tacoma/Pierce County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Past President
- Tacoma/Pierce County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Past Vice-President
- Tacoma/Pierce County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Past Secretary
- Tacoma/Pierce County Bar Association Judicial Qualifications Committee, Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Rules of Professional Conduct Committee – 2008 – 2012
- Tacoma/Pierce County Superior Court Commission, Former Member
- Tacoma/Pierce County Local Rules Committee, Former Member
- Robert J. Bryan Inns of Courts, Former Member